Well, frankly, as far as I am concerned there is only one. He wins. However, that wouldn’t seem to be enough of a reason to convince all the rest of you that he ought to stay right where he is until he’s good and ready to quit.
I’ll be honest, it really ticks me off when people jump out and say that Mark is like Brett Farve. For one thing, Mark never actually said he was going to retire, just that he needed some time off. I digress. Secondly and more importantly, he wanted to run a part time schedule for a while. He’s been doing this for many years and man, he needed a break! I can’t really blame him for that.
Either way, The Kid is back on top of his game and winning races. Still people are angry about his recent announcement to continue with the 5 team at Hendrick Motorsports through 2010. Here are 5 reasons which I hope will serve to convince you why Mark should continue for HMS (he will whether you want him to or not).
5. Mark Martin is having the time of his life. He never forgets where he came from and I believe he is the person most grateful to be where he is today. As he says, he’s in his second childhood. Never have I seen anyone more thrilled and excited to jump in that race car.
4. He’s a great driver and never causes any sort of trouble. When was the last time Mark Martin caused a wreck? When was the last time he caused any trouble on the track? While he races people hard, he also races them smart. He knows when he has the car to beat, like he did at Darlington, and he’ll drive the hell out of it. But, he also knows when the guy behind him is better and he’ll let that guy pass if he needs to.
3. He’s just fun to watch. Come on, Mark Martin is fun. Whether he’s shouting “I’m having the time of my life” just after being wrecked or whether he is driving the wheels off of a race car, he gives the fans a great show every time. He brings excitement to the track and puts the joy back into these races.
2. He is a gracious driver and a total class act. Even after a disappointing loss or a wreck, Mark is always ready with a kind word, a huge grin, and a happy demeanor. He’s happy go lucky and truly loves what he does. At the same time, he’s gracious and kind to the fans and his fellow drivers.
1. He is winning. Love him or hate him, he is doing what he went to HMS to do and what Rick Hendrick hired him to do- he is winning races.
Mark Martin fan or not, there’s hardly a soul out there that doesn’t like this man. Most fans seem to really enjoy watching him race and want him to do well. How can you not like a guy with so many great qualities? He’s a class act and is posed, I am sure, for many more wins and hopefully he can catch that elusive championship.